Copper Basin Railway “CBRY” is an Arizona short-line railroad that operates from a connection with the Union Pacific Railroad (UP) at Magma to Winkelman, in 54 miles (87 km) of length. The railroad also has a 7-mile (11 km) branch line that runs from Ray Junction to Ray, Arizona.
There is an interchange point with the San Manuel Arizona Railroad (SMARRCO) at Hayden. In summer 2006, ASARCO Copper Corporation purchased the entire railroad.
Products CBRY has hauled through the years.
- copper concentrates
- Mineral ore
- finished and unfinished copper
- sulfuric acid
- military equipment
The Magma–Winkelman line was constructed by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway (ATSF) subsidiary Phoenix and Eastern Railroad between 1902–1904.
The Phoenix and Eastern Railroad built the railroad from Phoenix –Winkelman via Florence. It originally proposed to build to a connection with the Southern Pacific Railroad (SP) at Benson but the line was never built past Winkelman.
The railroad was leased to Santa Fe upon completion of construction on December 10, 1904, and was operated by ATSF subsidiary Santa Fe, Prescott and Phoenix Railway. On March 13, 1907, the Phoenix & Eastern became an operating subsidiary of SP. On March 10, 1910, the Phoenix & Eastern was leased and became a non-operating subsidiary of SP and operated by the Arizona Eastern Railroad.
The railroad was sold to the Arizona Eastern Railroad on October 31, 1945. The Arizona Eastern Railroad was merged into SP on September 30, 1955.
The track at Winkelman was extended 6.35 miles (10.22 km) to Christmas, Arizona, in 1911 by the Arizona Eastern Railway. That section of track was abandoned by the SP in 1961.
June 1, 1986, the line was sold by Southern Pacific Railroad and the CBRY became a Common Carrier for the Southern Pacific Railroad. The CBRY was owned by Rail Management Corporation from 1986–2006. September 27, 2006, ASARCO purchased the entire railroad. ASARCO also owns the Ray Mine and Hayden Smelter, CBRY’s primary customers.