Telephone: 520-356-7811 Fax: 520-356-3802

Address: P.O. Box 8, Hayden, AZ 85235
27809 N. Mineral Creek Road, Kearny, AZ 85137

Location: The Ray Operations is located 18 miles to the west of the Hayden Operations. The Hayden Operations and General Administrative Offices are located 70 miles northeast of Tucson.  The Ray Operations is located 64 miles southeast of Phoenix. (Pinal and Gila Counties)

The Ray Operations consists of a 250,000 ton/day open pit mine with a 30,000 ton/day concentrator, a 103 million pound/year solvent extraction-electrowinning operation, and associated maintenance, warehouse and administrative facilities. Cathode copper produced in the SX-EW operation is shipped to outside customers and the Asarco Amarillo Copper Refinery.

A local railroad, Copper Basin Railway, transports ore from the mine to the Hayden concentrator, concentrate from the Ray concentrator to the smelter, and sulphuric acid from the smelter to the leaching facilities.

December 31, 2012 Employment (Ray & Hayden Operations):
Total: 1,403 employees; 1,128 hourly / 275 salaried.

Economic Impacts (Ray & Hayden Operations):

2012:
Wages, salaries and fringe benefits: $140.8 million
Property, severance and sales taxes: $28.6 million
Total materials and other spending (energy, fuel and supplies): $347.5 million

2011:
Wages, salaries and fringe benefits: $138.5 million
Property, severance and sales taxes: $25.8 million
Total materials and other spending (energy, fuel and supplies): $345.8 million

Ray Operations Management:

John Dorsey, General Manager
Mike Kotraba,  Operations Manager
Kim Bradshaw, Safety Manager
Ted L. Mastos, Human Resources Manager
Steven A. McGhee, Metallurgical Manager
Rob Prescott, Mine Manager
Duane Yantorno, Environmental Manager

Production Statistics:

Copper in SX-EW Cathode:
73.7 million lbs. (2012)
84.8 million lbs. (2011)

History:

1880 – Mineral Creek Mining Company
1883 – Ray Copper Company
1898 – Globe Mines Exploration Co., Ltd.
1899 – Ray Copper Mines, Ltd.
1906 – Gila & Ray Copper Companies
1910 – Ray Consolidated Copper Company
1911 – Underground Mine
1927 – Nevada Consolidated Copper Company
1933 – Kennecott Copper Corporation, Ray Mines Division
1948 – Stripping Began
1952 – Open-Pit Mine Began
1955 – Underground Mine Ceased
1986 – Ray Unit purchased from Kennecott
1989 – Hayden Concentrator modernization
1991 – Ray Complex formed
1992 – Ray Concentrator commissioned; expansion of Ray mine completed
1996 – Hayden Concentrator modernization
1998 – Ferric cure leaching commenced
1999 – Ray secondary crusher commissioned, Tankhouse renovation completed
2000 – Ray and Hayden Operations formed
2044 – Reserve life of Ray Mine